Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Botanical Garden Harvest Festival

On October 4th,
I went to the Harvest Festival
at the Botanical Garden, also known as the Bio Park.
The Heritage Farm
area was the center of the Harvest Festival.



Heritage Farm is an educational exhibit

of a reproduction 1930's farm in the Rio Grande Valley.
There is a farm house made from adobe.
The surrounding exhibit is a working farm
with produce grown for the animals at the zoo
and farm animals living in the barn.

Farm House



A nice lady doing colcha embroidery

was in the farm house.
She talked to us for awhile.
Colcha is a Spanish style of embroidery.



This needle-worker used tradional Spanish

patterns embroidered on a wool backing that she wove herself.





Outside, there was a special hands on exhibit
of vintage items people would use,
like an egg tray, phonograph (or victrola?),
radio, camera,
coffee grinder, nut cracker, water pump, corn shucker, etc.


The water pump was magnetic!
I was not allowed to touch the water.



I liked the old radio.
I don't know if it still worked.




Grinding stones were an important part of dinner!
The coffee grinder is behind me.


While I was looking at these neat vintage items,
a little boy was playing with a nutcracker attached
at the end of the bench.
His parents told him it was time to go,
but he kept playing with the nutcracker.
I wished the people would go away so I could see things, too.
But waiting your turn is what you have to do
when you go to a popular pubic event.

Then, I took my turn looking at the stereoscope and camera.
I sat on the edge of the table, and the little boy turned around and grabbed me!
Mom quicky snatched me back and kindly told him to look but don't touch.
I suppose that response comes from her working with children for so long,
because I would have screamed at the little boy
that it was none of his business to grab me!


Farm Thingy
that strips corn down to the cob



When I was testing out how soft the cobs were,
the farmer man showed the family with the boy
how this thingy works.
He started shooting cobs right through it,
and I had to quickly move!
At least I got a few good pictures before having to move on.



Heritage Farm Barn




The cow was much more polite
and didn't seem to mind my looking at her.




The chickens were given free range
to take themselves out for a walk.




This old tree root was so cool,
I wanted to take it home!


Mom said it was a bit big.



Heritage Farm Produce Barn
Heritage Farm also has a produce barn.
One weekend a year, apple cider is sold here.
The Harvest Festival is the weekend.
You can see them make the cider with their machines.
I got to see the machines and the "classroom" inside this barn.
We didn't buy cider.
Mom said she had her hands full with me and the camera.



Some of the apples used for the cider
are grown on site.








Sasebo Japanese Garden
This is another area, but it is right next to the farm,
and I love it!











































I'll have to come back in my kimono!
The cowgirl outfit worked for the farm,
but is not quite Japanese Garden!


































No comments:

Post a Comment